Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Get it Scrapped | Principle of Proximity

Hello everyone!!

Today I have a page to show you that I made for Get It Scrapped.

This page is documenting the day I left Vancouver, at the beginning of June 1998, going back home and leaving my "future husband" behind. It was a tough day for both of us and I'm glad I finally documented it.

To design this page I used a design principle called "proximity". You can read all about it on the Get it Scrapped blog today.


Its to give you a little hint of the proximity principle, it's about how you place your elements on the page, together or appart, to create a feeling. Here I wanted to document the separation so I used two pictures that I separated with a line formed by the little plane. I also used a skyline picture to give the feel of something going away. Finally I placed the little plane very close to the side of the page to give the feeling of it flying away.

I used a paper from Crate Paper, from their Flea Market collection and I really like the big gold area which grounds my picture and also gives it a lot of shine and light.


I mounted my picture on a piece of raindrops patterned paper from my Here Comes The Sun collection to highlight the sadness of the day. By the way, that photo was not taken on the day I left, but it was the last photo we took with our two best friends in Vancouver the day they left. That was a sad day too. Sometimes you can't get caught up with the idea that you don't have the perfect photo to document a story. Just use what you have and explain the story in the journaling.


I added some die cuts to add importance to the photo. I love how all the colors of the products in different collections coordinate.


So as I said, I added a line between the two photos. I used my sewing machine and gold thread. I was easy to do stitch but it would have been easier if I would have stitched BEFORE adhering the photos and all the other elements. It happens to me all the time! Oh well, no now knows, right?! :)


To add to the theme of sadness, I used some acetate clouds from the Little You collection from Crate paper and since they were so subtle, I added a flair button, again from my Here Comes The Sun collection. Adhering acetate is tricky. I have special vellum adhesive, but it wasn't doing a good job so I decided so use some tiny staples.


This die cut from Dear Lizzy acts as my title and is accentuated by the golden "our" that I added. I love the look of the clear acrylic stars mixed with the cardstock die cut stars. I adhered the plane with just a little bit of hot glue. I added some stamping with white ink next to my title to add some more whimsy.

ut of course, the whole layout just comes alive when the viewer reads the journaling. .... it's always the most important part for me. ;)

Have a great day guys!!

Marie-Pierre








SaveSave
SaveSave

2 comments:

Laura said...

Good for you, getting an older (and important) story told! I like the way you thought through your design to support the story.

Marie-Pierre Capistran said...

Oh good!! I'm glad someone read this! I love thinking about design. Making a layout is like building a puzzle. One piece at the time. Thank you for your comment. :)